2004-11-19

15 years ago

chatting with a friend, i suddenly start reminiscing about those times when i spend most of my day listening to my radio/casette player. compact disc wasn't even coined yet, and radio is your main source of music.

i had my first casette player when i was in first year high school. it's not a new one, but rather something that is of not much use anymore in our living room, so i got the chance to own it and place it permanently inside my room. i remember my family used to use it to listen to evening shows (the equivalent of today's telenovela) on the radio, so i know it was kinda old already. i even had to put "scotch tape" on one of the tape decks to hold it in place.

i can't afford to buy new casette albums back then, so i usually just copy from my friends or record directly from the radio. even my blank tapes are recycled ones, i record songs over and over them until the quality of the songs are no longer acceptable. all my tapes have no labels in them, or usually the labels were removed as they refer to the original songs contained in the tape.

when new single hits the chart, the first thing i usually do is spend more time close to my radio, with my fingers positioned in the record button. i can't afford to miss a single word from the DJ as i might miss his announcement of the next song he's gonna play. my goal is to record my target song, and i'd be one of the happiest person in the planet at that moment once i succeed. what's the one simple mistake a DJ could make for me to totally hate and curse him? to start talking while the song i'm recording is still playing! =)

now, things are a lot simpler. if you want a particular song. just find it over the net and chances are someone had already converted that song to mp3. you suddenly realized you haven't heard of your old favorite in a while and you don't have a CD of it? or even a tape? kazaa it and you should be listening to it in a minute.

i miss the rewind-stop-play days. the days where it is impossible to listen to the same song over and over again without reaching over to your casette player's control buttons, not to mention the pain of finding the start of the track when you rewind. of course, it was eventually addressed by the awesome auto program search technology. yes, it was a very high tech feature during that era of "you-cant-just-push-play".

0 comments:

Post a Comment