2004-11-29

it's my birthday, it's my birthday

today's my 29th birthday, and i'm happy. that's all i have to say =)

hmmm, i guess i am expected to say more. alright, i'm more than happy, i'm overjoyed! this is my second bday in canada, and i have to say this one's much better than the other one, only our kids are not here to celebrate it with us. the last one was last year in winnipeg, 19 days after we arrived from manila, and i celebrated it (in the evening after going to work) with nel, and my two kids, nick and bill, over a mcBain chocolate delight cake and a pint of ice cream bought from the nearby 7-11 store.=) it would definitely be one of my most memorable birthdays, one i'm sure i won't forget until i grow old.

it's a very cold day, minus 20 or less i think, and i had to work in the grocery store where i was hired just a week ago. my official job title was a stockman, and together with a fellow filipino and two vietnamese, i stock items in front of the store, and i maintain tons of things in the stockroom. that's the exact work they told me when i inquired about the job. the other minor thing that they didn't bother mentioning was that i also have to take care of the garbage. and since it's an asian grocery store, they sell lots of fresh "produce", vegetable among others. in short, they produce lots of garbage!

when i say lots, i don't mean one garbage bag, or two garbage bag neatly placed on a garbage bin. i mean hundreds of pounds of rubbish carelessly thrown into boxes(that previously contain the delivered and unpacked veggies, but are now part of the garbage to be discarded). discarding them at the back of the store where a 6 1/2 foot high, 10 by 10 feet garbage bin is located is really not a biggie. that is, if it's not a minus 20, with winds blowing at 25 to 35 mph, making it feel like a minus 30. now, imagine what i did on that day of my birthday, i made 20 or more trips carrying 40 to 70 pounds of awful stuff that i then have to lift over my head and throw inside the giant bin, it's really not easy(read: it's hard!).

oh wait, did i mentioned that the boxes are not supposed to be on the same bin? yeah, heard about recycling? the government is strict with that on commercial waste producers. so we actually have to giant bins sitting right next to each other, the other one solely for boxes. so when i discard the garbage, i actually had to hold on to the box and just empty the contents, which makes the task even more difficult! oh and i had to get rid of the garbage twice during that day =( i know that's too much whining already, so i'll end the story of my 28th birthday there.

hey it's my birthday, let's talk something fun and happy. so yeah, since my birthday this year fell on a monday, we had to celebrate on the weekend so our small group of newly found friends could join us. we had a small celebration last saturday night in our place, and i'm glad everyone enjoyed their time. i wasn't expecting to receive any present but i got five i think, including a Tommy and a Roots sweatshirt. oh yeah, nel gave me a pricey(for me) Swiss Army night vision watch which i really like =) . i spoke with my nanay(mom) and my tatay(dad) yesterday and they greeted me in advance. my kids called this morning and coached or not, i love the way they greeted me "happy birthday, papa! i love you, i miss you!". my brother in Kuwait phoned a while ago to greet me too, we haven't spoke in 8 months. my eldest niece rozelle left a friendster message with a greeting, my friends from manila left offline yahoo messages. some more phone call greetings, e-cards, yahoo messages, i can't be more than happy =)

when i was in my early year in college, i used to write into this small piece of penshoppe scratch pad. i write ugly poems, things i want to have(mostly impossible during that time), things i wanted to buy(in order of priority). things i wanna accomplish, places i wanna visit, again love poems, etc. also, there is this one page there where i wrote a silly goal, to have a million peso in my account by the time i reach 30. i know now it's really not that impossible a dream, and the amount is really not that high. i'm also sure that some of you reading this have already accomplished the same thing, and maybe even in a younger age. some might even pity me that i haven't accomplish something as simple as this yet at this time in my life. but yeah, for me, that was a decent goal during that time, with family's current financial status, knowledge of the current average salary of a professional, stories heard, movies watched, all factored in.

so why am i saying this? obviously it's because i turned 29 today, which gives me 365 days to accomplish that goal i wrote in a piece of paper which is now lost or probably burned years ago on a dumpsite somewhere in bulacan. i am now 10841 miles away from the place where i wrote it, but i know i can't escape it no matter where i go, unlike my godchildren which are probably gonna wonder why they are one gift short this christmas. would i reach my goal? maybe yes, maybe no, i really can't tell and i dont' wanna predict. it's only 52 more weeks, so let's just all wait. i have to broadcast this to put more pressure on myself, knowing that a year after, someone might ask me a question on wether i accomplished it or not. really not bad an idea, ain't it?

oh, there was another thing that i wrote on another page of that pad. to buy my mom her own house with a pool someday, but i know she knows i'm just kidding/dreaming about it during that time =) but who knows?

btw, Leo Laporte of TechTV's Call For Help is also celebrating his birthday today, and a handful of other famous people which you could just google if you like.

1 comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Belated 29th! Enjoy this year and look forward to another exciting decade ahead.
--Caligirl

10:43 PM  

Post a Comment