2007-07-17

my first 10K

Lance Armstrong congratulated me this morning right after finishing my first 10K run. No kidding! Well, if you are not running with the Nike+ iPod kit, the chance of him congratulating you would be close to nil. I covered 10K with a lousy 1:10, but it still feels awesome! And what's amazing is I'm not even that tired, so I'm thinking if I run at a slow but consistent pace, I shouldn't have a problem running a half soon. Anton over at OAP finished his second 21K at 3:15, so at least the bar is not the high, hehe! I started running at around 6:30, and with warm-up and cool-down, finished the whole workout just before 8am. I had to eat my breakfast, sit on the throne (I stay there long, it's a relaxing thing to do), and take a shower so that's another 30 minutes, and before I knew it, I was way too late for work! I had to drive for 25 minutes, and do my daily scripture reading in the park near where I usually park my car. Then I had to walk for another five minutes, and clocked in at work at 9:45. very late! hehe! But with the 10K accomplishment, I still feel great!

Oh, I almost forgot. I thought I'd share this humiliating run that I did last Sunday. I have this crazy idea (at least for me) of running my first 10K (soon) for under an hour. Mind you, I have only started running last June, and I have never really run before. In fact, it was only last month that I learned what type of feet I have, but that's another story for later time =) Back to that Sunday run. So I thought if I want to run 10K in under an hour, I have to pace at around 5:30 (taking into account the walking breaks). I know it is not really fast as Ben run at this speed on his last 21K. But for me, who runs at 6:30, it is fast! And so I did run at around this pace, and 7 minutes after, I am already catching my breath, and starting to feel the stitch. I decided to walk. One minute after, I still don't think I could run so I walked for another minute! Then I run again for another five, then had to walk another two, then run another four, then had to walk again. And finally decided to head back home, pacing at a slow 7:00 for another ten minutes. And that's it! My shameful attempt to run fast =) I've learned my lesson, I gotta do it slowly. Maybe build a workout plan of slowly improving my speed run.

Here's my lousy run, according to Nike+:

4 comments:

Blogger bEnMChAn said...

Before i tried running... I couldn't even run straight for a mile! Even a 400m track feels like forever to me.

What I did to improve was that I decided on a specific route. Then I would do that route over and over again for a course of like 3 months. Since I was still starting back then I didn't even care about the repeated boring scenery.... all I cared about was the time it took me to do a loop around that route. :) I suggest that you make your training time based first. (i forgot where i read about it, but it works!) Runner's world suggests making a 5min walk then 3 min run, then slowly building up on the running time. So by the end of lets say 4 weeks you should be doing 5 min runs with 3min walks. or even making the walks shorter. :) goodluck on your training mate! and oh, don't forget to have FUN.

12:23 AM  
Blogger ren said...

thanks for the tip, ben. i will surely keep it in mind. when i started i was following a "starting to run" program that i got from the net. but recently, i just thought that it is too slow for me so i decided to speed things up which now I'm not sure if OK =) I could now do a slow 10min run, 1 min walk. What would you suggest as a good training plan?

And I think I need to find a running partner/group.

9:29 AM  
Blogger ren said...

oh, and i sure am having fun!! though i wish nasa-pinas ako so i could hook up with lots of runners like yourself.

9:32 AM  
Blogger bEnMChAn said...

I followed some training plans from runner's world too! :) and that same plan was what i got. run/walk breaks... but what motivated me was to break my time for the same route that i always run. :) if i felt good i'd run it almost till i puke! hehehe then on some days i'd take it real slow... I think that almost all training plans point us towards the... build your running foundation then.... lets get those mileage up mate! :) which up to now, i still need to do. :D

a running parter does help sometimes.... but most of the time.... iPod is your bestfriend....

8:22 AM  

Post a Comment