2007-07-27

who's telling the truth??

I did my midweek run yesterday, and was excited because I would get to test my new toy -- an HRM. Now this HRM happens to have a pedometer capability as well, so I thought maybe I'll set it on, too, just to see how accurate the Nike+iPod thingy is. Actually, it's got more capability so I think of using it instead of having to inconveniently press my Nano's middle button to know my time, distance, and pace . I have my Nano in my armband so it's always difficult to press the middle button. If I'm not looking, I would sometimes hit the pause/play button which causes the workout monitoring to pause (grrr!). On my last few runs, I had to place the Nano to my wrist just to avoid the above scenario. Good thing the band is convertible =)

But wait, what is my post about again? Oh yeah, "who's telling the truth". Kinda drifted there for a sec, hehe! So i started my work out and started them both HRM and Nano. After a km, I looked at the nano (on my right wrist), and it's saying I'm running at around 6:30 pace, then I looked on my left wrist and it's 8 something. What the heck? And so I continued thinking well maybe the HRM is showing my average pace, and Nano as we know shows whatever is the current. I checked a couple of time during my run and it's still the same. The pace difference is more than a minute! I ended my slow run after 50 min, and both of them registered the time accurately as expected (otherwise, one of them is in danger of getting trampled upon, hehe! the nike+ only of course, not the nano. I ain't crazy and/or rich!). So time is ok, but what about the distance. The Nano says 7.2km, the other gizmo.... 6.08 km!!! Man, that's a difference of more than 1.1KM! 15% inaccuracy for the Nike+ or 18% if it's the new gadget that is inaccurate. So I googled, and really found no complaints about my new G. Some users even commented it's accurate outdoors because it uses GPS. So right now, I'm really thinking it's the cheaper gadget, Nike+iPod, that is inaccurate.

But what does this whole inaccuracy thingy brings to the table? First, I probably have not completed my first 10K (waah!) Second, I'm probably not even close to running 5K in less than 30 (waah ulit!). And of course, I realized that my average pace is lamer than I thought! =(

I probably have to reposition the sensor, and make sure it's fitted snugly and not bouncing around. Yup, I ain't using Nike+ shoes, so my sensor is on the lace. While typing, I thought of googling which shoe the sensor goes on a Nike+, and it's on the left. I think I have mine on the right. Dunno if that makes a difference, but I will switch mine too and see if accuracy will improve.

Sorry, but I'm too shy to mention the name of my new doodad. Till next!

4 comments:

Blogger bEnMChAn said...

WTF!!!!! you got the GARMIN!!!!!!!! It'll surely give you sucky pace time but rest assure that your distance record is accurate! :) i envy you mate..... tsk tsk tsk.... when will i ever get mine........ :(

Again keep on running and use the nifty online training log too and link it in your blog. :)

8:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was looking for just an HRM but found a store that has the 305 on sale, so I thought I'd buy it instead. I still consider it as an impulse buy, but hope that it'd be worth the pricetag and that it'd help me to train smarter.

hey, who knows it might be in the next box from your sis ;)

cheers!
ren

11:56 AM  
Blogger bEnMChAn said...

How much were you able to get it??? Still saving up for my Singapore trip thats why I'm hesitating the "impulse buying" hehehe :)

2:56 AM  
Blogger ren said...

$200 plus tax
-ren

9:03 AM  

Post a Comment